Full-time Teachers Introduction
Name: James Hsiao-tzu Yang
Position: Associate professor
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign/PhD in Linguistics
Extension No: 3212
Phonetics,Phonology, Sociolinguistics, Corpus Linguistics, Language Acquisition, World Englishes
1 ( 2005-01 ～ 2006-01 )
2 ( 2004-01 ～ 2005-01 )
3 ( 2003-01 ～ 2004-01 )
4 ( 2001-01 ～ 2003-01 )
1. Systemic mutual intelligibility between American English and Taiwan English: A phono-statistic approach. US-China Education Review, 7(5), 11-23., 2010
2. Phonetic evidence for the nasal coda shift in Mandarin. Taiwan Journal of Linguistics, 8(1), 29-56. (THCI Core), 2010
3. The speech continuum reconsidered: A case study of a speaker of Indian English. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 2(4), 664-672., 2012
4. An accent-plus lesson for an English phonetics class: Integrating Indian English into contrastive analysis. Journal of Language Teaching and Research, 3(6), 1194-1201., 2012
5. A socio-phonological analysis of Taiwan English from the perspective of World Englishes. Taiwan Journal of Linguistics, 10(1), 115-142. (THCI Core), 2012
6. Taiwanese perceptions of Indian English: A perceptual change in the learning of English variation. English Teaching & Learning, 37(4), 91-148. (THCI Core and EBSCOhost), 2013
7. Focus on Australian English: A critical learning portfolio pedagogy. Language, Culture and Curriculum, 29(2), 119-140. (SSCI), 2016
8. Changing college students’ stereotypes of Standard English: The pedagogical process of an English course. Journal of Education Practice and Research, 30(1), 1-36. (TSSCI), 2017
9. Lexical intelligibility of American and British English to Taiwanese EFL learners: A sociolinguistic perspective. In R.F. Chung et al. (Ed.), Linguistic Patterns in Honor of Professor Chin-Chuan Cheng. Taipei: Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica. (forthcoming), 2017
10. “I want to be new and different. Anything I’m not.” Accent-mixing in singing. Australian Journal of Linguistics. (SSCI, forthcoming), 2018
1. "Using Blackboard to extend and enhance classroom instruction" 2002 Illinois Distance Learning Conference, March 22, 2002.
2. "Language and identity: An ethnolinguistic perspective" Seventy-ninth Conference of States Anthropological Society Bulletin Vol. 37 No. 1, Kellogg Hotel & Conference Center, Michigan State University, March 08, 2002.
3. "Rethinking interethnic and international miscommunication: An interactional sociolinguistic perspective" Ninth International Conference on World Englishes: Perspectives into the 21st Century, UIUC, October 19, 2002.
4. "Why not Standard English? An explanatory study of interethnic communication" Forty-eighth International Linguistic Association, New York University, April 4-6, 2003.
5. "Standards and linguistic realities of English use in international business" Ninth International Conference on Cross-Cultural Communication California State University, Fullerton, June 24-28, 2003.
6. "The syllable-final nasal merger in Mandarin" Fifteenth Conference of North American Conference on Chinese Linguistics, Michigan State University, July 11-13, 2003.
7. "Integrating critical computer literacy into web-mediated learning of English for intercultural communication" The Bergamo Conference on Curriculum Theory and Classroom Practice, Bergamo Center, Dayton, Ohio, October 2-4, 2003.
8. "Auditory accounts of the word-final nasal merger in Mandarin: Perception experiments and limitations" Thirty-second Annual Meeting on New Ways of Analyzing Variation, University of Pennsylvania, October 9-12, 2003.
9. "Real-world English use in international business." American Association for Applied Linguistics Portland, Oregon, May 1-4, 2004.
10. "Rapport across different discourse practices: Evidence from intercultural communication between Hong Kong Chinese and native English speakers" Fifth International Crossroads in Cultural Studies Conference UIUC, June 25-8, 2004.
11. "Impact of sound differences on intelligibility: A phonostatistic approach" The First International Conference on Applied Linguistics, National Chia-yi University, April, 1-2, 2006.
12. "L2 speakers’ voices needed: An interactional sociolinguistic perspective on EIL" 2006 International Conference of The Asia-Pacific Educational Research Association (APERA), Hong Kong, Nov. 28-30, 2006.
13. "The role of sound change in speech recognition research" 2007 Conference on Computational Linguistics and Speech Processing (ROCLING), National Taiwan University, September 6-7, 2007.
14. "Towards English as an international language (EIL) in the use of English for cross-cultural interaction" 2008 2nd National Conference on College English, National Chengchi University, March 29, 2008.
15. "Statistic analyses of English accents: A demonstration of a socio-phonetic program" The Thirteenth International Conference on Methods in Dialectology, University of Leeds, August 4-8, 2008.
16. "English phonological intelligibility: A phono-statistic survey of distinct English accents" The Third International Conference on the Linguistics of Contemporary English (ICLCE3), Institute of English Studies, Senate House, University of London, July 14-17, 2009.
17. "A phono-numerical approach to English phonological intelligibility" The 15th Conference of the International Association for World Englishes (15th IAWE), Parklane International Hotel, Cebu City, Philippines, October 22-24, 2009.
18. "Linguistic standards and realities of English use for international business interaction" 2009 Applied Linguistics and Sociolinguistics: the Form and the Content, Department of English, National Taipei University of Technology, November 6-7, 2009.
19. "Challenges and strategies of English-only pedagogy: Teacher-student perspectives" Shih-chi Yu, and James H.Yang 2010 International Conference on English/Foreign Language Education, Min-Hwei College of Health Care Management, Oct. 15-16, 2010.
20. "Using online videos to teach English accents: A revised approach to contrastive analysis" James H. Yang, and Yunlin Li International Conference on Computer Assisted Language Learning, Department of Applied Foreign Languages, National Yunlin University of Science & Technology (YunTech), Nov. 5, 2011.
21. "A pragmatic approach to refusal in English and Taiwan Mandarin" Hsiu-jung Lin, and James H. Yang 2011 NTUT International Conference on Applied Linguistics Department of English, National Taipei University of Technology (NTUT), November 3-4, 2011.
22. "Using online videos to teach Australian English accents: Towards a receptive language pedagogy" James H. Yang, Edy Hong, Bruce Wang, and Wade Lee 2012 International Conference on English Teaching and Learning Southern Taiwan University, May 25, 2012.
23. "Teaching Indian English to university students in Taiwan: An accent-plus lesson plan" James H. Yang, and Wei-Siou Wong 15th International CALL Research Conference Providence University, May 24-27, 2012.
24. "Taiwanese EFL learners’ perceptions of Indian English for aural practice" James H. Yang, Wei-Siou Wong, and Bruce Wang The 18th Conference of the International Association for World Englishes (IAWE), City University of Hong Kong and Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, December 6-9, 2012.
25. "Aussie English vowel variation in pop music: A revised contrastive pedagogy" 11th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts & Humanities, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 11-14, 2013.
26. "I want to be new and different. Anything I’m not”: Style-shifting in Australian pop music" 2013 International Conference on English Linguistics (ELSOK 2013), Korea University and Korea Military Academy in Seoul, Korea, July 3-6, 2013.
27. "Test or taste: Intelligibility of Australian English to Taiwanese learners of English" The 1st International Conference on English Language Teaching:ELT in a Globalization Era, Tunghia University, Nov. 22, 2013.
28. "Kiwi accent in New Zealand pop music" VIIth International Conference on Native and Non-native Accents of English: Accents 2013, the University of Lodz, Poland, Dec. 5-7, 2013.
29. "English accent difference between singing and talking: Evidence from Lenka’s style shift" 2014 International Conference on Applied Linguistics & Language Teaching (ALLT), Dept. of Applied Foreign Languages, National Taiwan University of Science & Technology, Apr. 17-19, 2014.
30. "How does Australian English differ from American English? A critical learning portfolio pedagogy" 13th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, Honolulu, Hawaii, the US, Jan. 10-13, 2015.
31. "Integrating Critical Pedagogy into the Teaching of World Englishes" 2015台灣語言學學會第9屆第1次會員大會, National Taiwan Normal University, Nov. 21, 2015.
32. "Focus on Kiwi English: A critical learning portfolio pedagogy" LIF2016: Language in Focus: From Theory to Practice: New Directions in ELT and Applied Linguistics, Istanbul, Turkey, March 10-12, 2016.
33. "Politeness perception and reproduction of English refusals to invitations" 2016 International Conference on Applied Linguistics & Language Teaching: The True Path to Individual and Global Literacy, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, Taiwan, April 15-16, 2016.
34. "Coming for a barbie this arvo? Aussie interpretations of hypocoristics" The 3rd ESBB (English Scholars Beyond Borders) Conference: Crossing Borders in English Teaching and Learning: Publishing and Academic Study, Providence University, Taiwan, May 19-22, 2016.
35. "Integrating Critical Pedagogy into ELT for intercultural awareness" The CELC Symposium 2016: Strengthening connectivities in ELT: pedagogies, disciplines, cultures, National University of Singapore, May 25-27, 2016.
36. "Leh in Colloquial Singapore English" with Verna Huang 2016 Taiwan Acoustical Association Conference, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, Nov. 11, 2016.
37. "Accent-mixing in singing as performative creativity" 2016 Taiwan Acoustical Association Conference, National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, Nov. 11, 2016.
38. "The TRAP-BATH split in RP: To prosper or perish?" 5th International Biennial Conference on the Diachrony of English, the Université François-Rabelais, Tours, France, Jul. 4-6, 2017.
1. 電腦語言學的發展研究簡介：過去、現在與未來. The Association for Computational Linguistics and Chinese Language Processing (ACLCLP): Vol. 19, No. 5., 2007
1. 2004 Conference travel grant, Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Chicago
2. 2004-5 Reading group award, English and international communication, Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities
3. 2004 Dissertation research grant for fieldwork in Jamaica, Cognitive Science Committee of the Beckman Institute, UIUC, 2004
4. 2005 Illinois CIBER dissertation award, Center for International Business Education and Research, UIUC, 2005
5. 2006 教育部技專校院與高職(含綜高)建立策略聯盟試辦計畫。依據教育部(Ministry of Education)中華民國95年6月14日台技(一)字第0950088223C號函辦理。台南觀光英語教學研習營計畫提案者與執行者 (proposer and host of the workshop on English for Tourism in Tainan), July 31-August 11.
6. 2006 國科會(National Science Council)出席國際學術會議補助(overseas conference grant), 2006香港亞太教育研究會國際研討會
7. 2007 國科會(National Science Council)專題研究計畫 Establishing a phonology-diagnosed instrument for Mandarin-accented English: A study of validity
8. 2008 國科會(National Science Council)專題研究計畫 Effects of English accents on intelligibility: A phono-statistic measure
9. 2009 國科會(National Science Council)專題研究計畫 Phonological intelligibility between Taiwan English and Indian English
10. 2010 雲科大(YunTech)專題研究計畫 The speech continuum in Indian English
11. 2011 國科會(National Science Council)專題研究計畫 A sociophonetic approach to the sound system of Australian English
12. 2013 國科會(National Science Council)專題研究計畫 New Zealand English accents in pop music, their sociophonetic style-shifting, and their application to pedagogical research
13. 2014 科技部(MOST)出席國際學術會議補助(overseas conference grant), Hawaii International Conference on Arts & Humanities
14. 2014 雲科大(YunTech)專題研究計畫 New Zealand pop singers’ phonetic style-shifting between singing and talking
15. 2015 雲科大(YunTech)教學創新實驗計畫 Integrating the concept of world Englishes into ELT
16. 2015 科技部台澳科技合作交流訪問計畫 The socio-phonetics of Australian English
17. 2015 科技部出席國際學術會議補助(overseas conference grant), International Conference in Turkey, LIF2016: Language in Focus: From Theory to Practice: New Directions in ELT and Applied Linguistics
18. 2016 雲科大(YunTech)教卓計畫 Developing English pronunciation APP programs
19. 2016 科技部專題計畫 The TRAP-BATH split in RP: Re-examined, rediscovered, and renewed
20. 2017 科技部台英研究交流訪問計畫 The soundscape of the TRAP-BATH split in Scotland: A practice-based approach
21. 2017 科技部專題計畫 A corpus analysis of the socio-phonetic ideological constructions in New Zealand English songs
1. Instructor, 101-2學年度服務學習組教卓計畫補助執行課程「中英翻譯二」
2. Discussion Chair, 親子座談會,「美國夏威夷旅遊見聞心得分享」(sharing my travel experience in Hawaii),嘉義賀德讀經佛堂, Jun. 28, 2013
3. Instructor, 2013雲嘉南區融入服務學習之專業課程創意教學設計比賽,佳作
4. Instructor, 2013全國技專院校英語童書創作競賽,最佳藝術設計獎
5. Instructor, 102-1學年度服務學習組教卓計畫補助執行課程「台灣廟宇文化」(Taiwanese Temple Culture)
6. YunTech Representative, 新北市三重商工招生說明會, Nov. 1, 2013
7. Speaker, Talk on 「悅」讀父母，與孩子一起Adventure! 斗六市立圖書館中山分館, Dec. 20, 2013
8. Instructor,「台灣鯛魚生態學習營」,雲科大魚樂生活社志工團隊,嘉義市精忠國小, Dec. 25, 2013
9. Speaker, Talk on「導遊領隊證照應考說明會」(Explanation session about tour guide/leader certificates,雲科大語言中心, Mar. 12, 2014
10. Speaker, Talk on 「英文單字輕鬆背！記憶學習法練習與考驗」(Easy way to learn English vocabulary: Mnemonic practices and challenges), 雲林縣土庫鎮永年中學學生英文學習演講, Mar. 13, 2014
11. Discussion Chair,家長座談會,「我在波蘭的見聞分享」(Sharing my learning experience in Poland), 嘉義市蕭氏佛堂, Mar. 21, 2014
12. Speaker, Talk on 「創意短片編輯教學研習會」(Workshop on PowerDirector),雲科大資訊中心, Apr. 23, 2014
13. Speaker, Talk on「觀光行銷證照簡介與應考準備 」(Introduction to the exam for the certificate of tourism promotion,雲科大語言中心, Apr. 30, 2014
14. Instructor, 102-2學年度服務學習組教卓計畫補助執行課程「語言學概論」(Introduction to Linguistics)
15. Instructor, 103-1學年度服務學習組教卓計畫補助執行課程「觀光行銷」(Tourism Promotion)
16. Speaker, Talk on 「讀書記憶法」(mnemonics for effective reading), 嘉義市一貫道賀德佛堂在蘭潭國中舉辦4Q成長營, Dec. 13, 2014
17. Speaker, Talk on 「誰擁有國際溝通時的英語所有權？」(Who owns English in international communication?),國立中正大學清江學習中心, Mar. 13, 2015
18. Speaker, Talk on 「英文字彙記憶法」(mnemonics for effective learning of English vocabulary), 嘉義市一貫道賀德佛堂在蘭潭國中舉辦4Q成長營, May 2, 2015
19. Instructor, 美國夏威夷大學兒童中心紙船實驗活動 (paper boat experimental activity at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa Children’s Center), July 29, 2015
20. Instructor, 南投竹山鎮小鎮文創專長換宿線上資訊英譯 (English translation of the online information about the talents exchange program proposed by the Townway, Oct. 25, 2015
21. Instructor, 吳晟詩作英譯 (English translation of the poetry by Wu Sheng) in support of the organic farming developed in 彰化縣溪州鄉尚水社區, Dec. 6, 2015
22. Speaker, Talk on 「台灣廟宇文化」(Taiwanese temple culture), 雲林縣麥寮高中, Nov. 30, 2015
23. Instructor,「紐西蘭與南非文化」服務學習 活動,雲科大志工團隊,嘉義市蘭潭國中, Dec. 26, 2015
24. Speaker, Talk on 「腦力激盪增智慧」(brain storming for effective learning), 嘉義市一貫道賀德佛堂在蘭潭國中舉辦4Q成長營, Dec. 26, 2015
25. Speaker, Seminar on Leaning and Research at YunTech, 彰化縣溪湖高中, May 11, 2016
26. Instructor,「紐西蘭文化與台灣 節慶」服務學習活動,雲科大 志工團隊,雲林縣水碓國小, Jun. 4, 2016
27. Speaker, Seminar on 「膝關節保健」 (health protection of knee joints), 嘉義市一貫道蕭氏佛堂義診活動, Jul. 3, 2016
28. Speaker, Seminar on English for international communication, 東隆五金公司, Jul. 11, 2016
29. English Interpreter for British ambassadors, Alishan Forest Railway, Taiwan Forestry Bureau, Nov. 18-19, 2016.
30. Instructor,「南非文化與台灣生態」服務學習活動,雲科大志工團隊,雲林縣水碓國小, Dec. 2, 2016
31. Assistant, Talk on 「Super EQ 反應力」(Super EI reaction), 嘉義市一貫道賀德佛堂在蘭潭國中舉辦4Q成長營, Dec. 24, 2016 (forthcoming)
32. English Interpreter for Indian ambassadors, Alishan National Scenic Area, Taiwan Forestry Bureau, Dec. 24-25, 2016.
33. English Interpreter for Italian delegates, Dalin Township, the project on Cittaslow International (國際慢城認證), Feb. 24, 2017.
34. Judge, 英語日學藝競賽國中英語組英語朗讀評審, April 11, 2017
35. Judge, 2017全國英語演講比賽,嘉義大學, May 10, 2017
36. Instructor,「蘇格蘭文化與台灣節慶 」服務學習活動,雲科大志工團隊,雲林縣水碓國小, June 2, 2017
37. Instructor, 全球生態時事座談研習營,嘉義林務局, May to August, 2017
38. Instructor, 紫斑蝶繪本創作,嘉義縣林內鄉,成功國小, March to December, 2017